I took your class on organizing supplies. I learned a few things from the class... but I am sure I missed something. I appreciate the help as I am retagging 13 years of photos and 30,000 plus items because I moved PSE 11 and it WILL not recognize my catalogs from PSE 10. UGH!
Oh no! Just wait a second! You should not need to retag...
Photoshop Elements Organizer, should look for old catalogs when you first install it and prompt you about converting them. But if you accidentally cancel out of that process, it's not super obvious how to convert an old catalog.
How to Upgrade/Convert your Catalog to a new Version of Photoshop Elements
- If you still have your older version of Photoshop Elements installed, open it up and follow the directions here This will backup your metadata for you! May take an hour or more. If you uninstalled your old version PSE, just skip this step.
- Then, open up your new version of Photoshop Elements Organizer and select File - Manage Catalogs...
- Click Convert
- It will say loading for a while, then it will list all your older catalog
- Click on the one that says it was created by your old version of PSE. If it doesn't show, check the box for Show Previously converted Catalogs.
- Click Convert.
- Then Photoshop Elements will do its thing, and will tell you the name for the catalog it just converted
- When you get back to the Catalog manager choose the newly converted catalog, click open and voilà, NO RETAGGING!
If for some reason you run into trouble converting the catalog, jump back to the old version of PSE and follow the troubleshooting steps here.
If you are moving from a PC to a Mac, the instructions are here.
Are you having issues moving to a new version of Photoshop Elements? Ask me your questions below!